Supernova’s first heat kicked off last night and four acts have qualified for the semifinal. In next Sunday’s heat Markus Riva will perform. Last year he finished second and the year before 11th. We had chat with him regarding his upcoming performance.
Hello Markus. After finishing second in Supernova last year, you are back in again with the song „I can“. Everyone is saying that it is your best national final entry. Can you tell us the story behind it?
- Hi guys! Thank you for contacting me! I wrote I CAN in October after a story that happened with my close friend. After releasing my CD MR (which is on iTunes as well), big solo concert in Riga and other good moments in my life, I got emotionally attacked. I was in a dark place at that time. I needed to get out and I went to the studio and wrote the concept and idea of I CAN. We all need motivation, power when we have low time in life. And it was perfect time for Eurovision, I submitted that for Supernova and here we are again. The song was co-written with a friend of mine and my live band member Edgars Jass and produced by PK in Los Angeles – man who is responsible for my song Take Me Down and Chris Brown’s Fine China.
Have you heard any other songs from Supernova? Who do you consider your biggest competitor?
- There are lot of good songs, different styles and different moods. Very interesting to see new names and experienced acts to return. I am very curious what they all bring for the live shows.
You’ve presented Latvian votes last year. Let’s say you win Supernova and go Stockholm. How would you feel? Do you know what’s waiting for you?
- Well, it would mean a world to me. I have a great team working with me over the past year and we can do big things. But I would not say HOP before I jump. I still got a lot work to do.
Can you name few of your favorite Eurovision songs?
- To be honest, I have been fan of Eurovision, like forever. My faves in final are Euphoria by Loreen, I feed you my love by Margaret Berger and Aminata’s Love Injected of course. But I also love songs that didn’t win – Danny – Amazing, In the club, Ace Wilder – Busy Doin’ Nothin and many more.
In the end, would you mind revealing our readers one detail about you that is not commonly known?
- There are lot of fun facts about me that I discover myself. When I was a kid I was chubby, with glasses and experienced bullying. Life was not easy and I know that there are lot of people feeling the same. I want to know that I can motivate people to feel better, to change, to stand tall.
Markus, thank you so much for your time. I wish you all the best this Sunday.
- You are more than welcome! All the best to Serbian Eurovision fans there!