Back in December 2016, it was announced that Nathan Trent would sing for Austria at the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest with his song “Running on Air” being released in February this year. Austria will compete in the first half of the second semi-final alongside Serbia on Thursday 11th May for a place in the grand final on Saturday. We were lucky to be able to talk to Nathan and ask him a few questions about himself and his Eurovision experience so far.
Hi Nathan, thank you for taking some time out from your schedule to talk to us about your Eurovision experience so far. Firstly could you tell our readers a little bit about yourself and how you became a singer?
- My name is Nathan Trent, I’m 24 and I’m a singer and soangwriter from Austria. I was raised bilingually, Italian and German and I’ve always loved the theater. I recently finished my studies in musical theater and I have been writing a lot of songs in the past years. I have been singing since I was a child and at the age of 11 I started writing my own songs. Through the years I figured out which genre I felt the best in and after a lot of writing, I decided to release my first single „Like It is“ back in June 2016.
Could you tell us how you were chosen to represent your country in Kyiv?
- I was asked by Eberhard Forcher, if I wanted to participate at the internal pre-selection and of course, I said yes! After months of writing and recording, the ORF made the decision to choose „Running on Air“ as their entry, which made me incredibly proud!
Since being chosen as the Austrian representative, has your life changed much? Is there something that is completely new maybe?
- Well, I’d say there are definitely more cameras in my life right now and people ask me more questions than usual ;). But I’m very honored and happy that my music creates such an interest, I feel incredibly honored! I’ve been receiving a lot of love and support from all over Europe! I’m so happy that people like my song and I’m more than grateful to be able to experience that my music is being heard all over.
You released your song back in February, What is the meaning and the message of your song and what does it mean personally to you?
- The title “Running On Air” is more like a metaphor for enjoying and appreciating life with its ups and downs. I wrote this song during a moment in my life, where I wasn’t really sure which career path I was going to take. I needed something to remind me of my strengths and something that would motivate me. The lyrics came very naturally as well as the melody. I hope that people will be able to relate to this song.
Could you perhaps give us an insight as to what we are to expect from your performance and show in Kyiv? Or will you keep everything a secret to surprise us?
- Unfortunately I can’t give away anything, but I can tell you that we found something that suits the song in the best way. Let me surprise you!
What is your earliest memory of Eurovision and how did you first hear about the contest? Do you perhaps have any favorite songs from past editions of the contest?
- Back in 2010 when Lena Meyer-Landrut won. That was the moment I realized how great the ESC is! I’d say Euphoria by Loreen is my all-time favorite!
You asked fans to help you decide on four Eurovision entries for you to cover in an acoustic live session. How did you come up with the idea and why did you decide to do it?
- I wanted to honor the contestants from the past years and celebrate this incredible journey by singing Eurovision songs. I still can’t believe how lucky I am to be able to participate in such an amazing event and I couldn’t be more grateful to represent my country with my own song.
Thank you so much once again Nathan for answering our questions – we wish you the best of luck in May. Do you perhaps have a message for your fans and our readers?
- Thank you so much for your interview! To all the readers and supporters: Thank you for supporting and believing in me and the song! Also thanks taking your time and getting to know me a little more! I wish you all the best and I’m very thankful to celebrate and share this incredible experience with you! Yours, Nathan
Look at the official video of Nathan’s song: „Running on Air“!